A Card to Print out for your Wine Collection.
2011 - Le Macchiole Rosso
Sub Region Toscana IGT
Size 750 mL
Varietal(s) Merlot, Cabernet Sauvignon, Syrah / Shiraz
library code: 76726
From the Critics:
- #21 Wine Spectator's Top 100 Wines of 2013
"A pretty red, boasting black cherry, black currant, violet and mineral aromas and flavors. Supple and silky, with hints of herbs and spices. Though dense, the tannins are well-covered by sweet fruit and flesh, but provide ample support. Excellent length. Best from 2015 through 2025. 7,900 cases made. -BS" (10/13) -
- "Lovely aromas of minerals, berries and currants follow through to a full body with fine and integrated tannins plus a pretty finish. So polished and delicious now. A blend of mostly merlot with some cabernet and syrah. Better in 2015." (02/13) -
- "The merlot and syrah in this blend are more expressive in the 2011 than they are in the 2010 at the moment, reading in the wine’s mellow texture and bright, peppery spark. The fruit is a dark, spicy cherry jam, opening up into a juicy, full-on finish. Generous and ripe, this is ready to decant for grilled lamb chops." (04/13) -
- "The 2011 Bolgheri Rosso Le Macchiole is a blend of 50% Merlot, 30% Cabernet Sauvignon and 20% Syrah aged ten months in neutral barrel and cement. The wine shows a deep and penetrating color with ripe aromas of dark plum and black currant. Despite its youth, it also shows the markings of elegance and sophistication that characterize all the wines from this landmark estate. Anticipated maturity: 2014-2018."
"Cinzia Merli and her expert team (with consulting enologist Luca D'Attoma) have this extraordinary capacity of transmitting the poise and grace they possess as people to the wines they make. Unlike many others in the area, Le Macchiole reported excellent results in 2010 and started harvest in many blocks just a few days later than normal thanks to slow and steady fruit ripening at slightly cooler temperatures. The 2010 vintage, they inform me, may be their best yet this century. For my tastes, 2010 does indeed show exceptional balance but I wouldn't put it ahead of standout vintages like 2007 and 2004." (08/13) -
- "Made from Merlot, Cabernet and Syrah, it has a soft but elegant palate. Fleshy black cherry, blackberry and spicy blueberry are accented with notes of white pepper and clove alongside smooth, silky tannins. Enjoy this soon. -K.O." (05/14) -